1. Discipline and Corporal punishment
In Japan, teachers and principals are authorized to administer discipline to students, but should not
administer corporal punishment to them by the School Education Law, Article 11.
About this problem, we have to consider the distinction of the discipline and corporal punishment, and
both are not classified by the boarder line, but are classified by the boarder zone, like " Play " of handling
" Play " of handling cars is always necessary in driving cars, for it would not be in handling, the driving 2. Guideline on corporal punishment : Boarder zone of regal punishment
would be very dangerous, and would be too much there, driving cars would be so dangerous, too.
So, it should be moderately there, and it would be different each car ; small car, big car, truck and so
forth. Like this, moderate corporal punishment is located in the zone of " Play " of hanling cars and is
legal punishmet to students.
And then we should consider it under some circumstances and factors as the following guideline.
● The student will be told the reason corporal punishment is being administered.
● Age and strength of the student.
● Availability of less severe but eqaully effective means of dealing with the situation.
● Exhibiting a wanton and willful disregard of human rights.
● Shall not be caused bodily injury of student.
● The type and amount of corporal punishment permitted, including any instrument that may be used,
or only with opened hand.
● Any requirements governing privacy.
● The presence of witnesses.
● In accordance with policies and guidelines established by the school board.
● School authorities shall notify all parents of this policy.
● Exception that no corporal punishment shall be administered to a student whose parent has stated
in writing that such punishment is prohibited. And in this case, alternative punishment shall be administered.
Note: All of these factors are not always necessary, but shall be clearly regulated.
Suggestion 3 ----- In-School Suspension in Japan
1. Now in Japan, junior high school and elementary school students shall not be suspended from schools,
for, it is prohibited by the School Education Law. But unfortunately, recently it has caused a lot of
" Class Collapses " and some other difficult problems in Japanese schools.
So, I will suggest to the school board to make a policy of In-School Suspension in Junior High School
and Elementary School.
2. In the U.S. suspension from school ( including Out-School Suspension ) is very common, for instance,
Pennsylvania, Kane Area School District, Code ruled the following:
Discipline will range from verbal reprimand to exclusion from school, depending upon the severity
and frequency of the violation.
The Board of Education of The School District of The City of Detroit, Agreement is the same.
3. Why should not in Japan ?
In Japan, there have not been so many disruptive influences and deviate behaviors which interrupt the
educational processes in schools, and some educators and commentators have too appreciated
student rights to spoil students. But, recently, a number of disruptive behaviors of students has
increased, and in some schools " Class Collapse " has been seen in Japan.
4. I will suggest to the school board to make a policy of In-School Suspension and then to make a rule of
it for each school. And there it would be better to make a guideline of it at each level.
In the future, Out-School Suspension might be necesary in Japan like the U.S., but now, I think, it will
be realistic and will be full enough to maintain order in Japanese schools to make a policy and guideline
of In-School Suspension.
........ Access counts ( 2000. 1. 20 現在 ) ....... 63.475