Japanese version is available
Generally speaking in Japan, they have the first examination for service of teachers' annually in June or in July at each prefectural board of education, and at the second they have final examination for the candidates who were successful in the first ones in September or in
Most of these candidates of fresh teachers are the undergraduate universities students and some others are the post-graduates. They have to get good points on their special subjects, basic method of teaching, some knowledge of pedagogics and basic law of education at the examinations. Of course, they are not so high, but basic ones.
Now, I will show some typical questions of the law of education for the candidates. And the typical formats of the examination are usually to let them to fill the blanks with suitable words, so as the samples I will make some blanks in Japanese versions of this article, but in this
English version I will describe the correct words in the blanks to help non-Japanese understand the outline of the examination more
- 1. The Fundamental Law of Education
The Fundamental Law of Education is one of the most important laws in Japan, and many questions are made by the
examiners. So, I suggest to the candidates," Remember Article 1 as possible as you can, and the other articles, like this."
- Article 1
The aim of Education is to enable the person become a good citizen,who seeks after truth and justice,esteem
(individual value),set a great value on (labor) and responsibility and full independency, and to try to be sound in
mind and body,realizing (builders) of peaceful country and our society.
- Article 4
People have the (duty) to make their children receive nine-years of general education.
- Article 6
Schools described by the law shall be of (public benefit),and the national government, local government, and only (juridical persons) prescribed by the law shall be able to establish the schools. Teachers are the persons who
(service in public), so they shall be conscious of their missions and do the best. For this purpose, their (status)
shall be respectable, and shall be treated under good conditions.
- Article 8
The (political knowledge) for a person of good sense shall be evaluated in education. But, the teacher shall not
make any (political education) or any (political activities) for or against some political parties.
- Article 10
Education shall not be obedient to (unjust control), but shall (owe directly it's duty) to the whole people.
Note: Read orally often all articles of this Fundamental Law of Education. It's useful for the candidates. Article 1
(Purpose of Education), Article 2 (Educational Principle), Article 3 (Equal Opportunity in Education), Article 4
(Compulsory Education), Article 5 (Co-Educational Method), Article 6 (School Education), Article 7 (Social
Education), Article 8 (Political Education), Article 9 (Religious Education), Article 10 (Administration in Education)
- 2. The Law of School Education
The Law of School Education is important for the candidates, and the next " student' discipline " are often inquired by the examiners.
(1) According to the rules of the school boards, principals and teachers shall be able to administrate (punishment) to the
students, but shall not be able to administer (corporal punishment). ----- Article 11
(2) Local school boards shall be able to order to the parents of the students (to make their children not to attend classrooms), whenever they are so bad and will disturb the education of other students. ----- Article 26
(3) In the case of punishment, principal and teachers have to take (educational care) on the students. ----- Regulation Article
(4) Principal shall be able to administrate exclusion or suspension from school, or official warning to the students, but they
shall not be able them at the (public) elementary school and junior high school. --- Aboved
(5) Elementary schools have to get principal, vice-principal, (tenured teachers),(nurse-teacher) and clerical employees.
Tenured teachers have the (duty to educate) the students. ----- Article 28
(6) School staff shall use the text-books that (are certified) by the Minister of Education. ----- Article 21
(7) On this Law of School Education, we will prescribe the Elementary school, Junior high school, Senior high school,
University, (Higher professional school), School for the blind, School for the deaf, School for (the delicate health children) and Kindergarten. ----- Article 1
(8) Schools shall be established by the national government, the local governments and the (juridical persons) described by
the Law of the Private Schools. --- Article 2
Next, the candidates had better to take care of the next questions;
Next, somewhat take care.
- (1) (School tuition) shall not be paid by the parents of the students at the public elementary schools and junior
high schools. ---- Article 8
- (2) Principals have to get the common certificated licenses:(" Senshu or 1st kind ") of the tenured teachers. ----- Regulation,Article 8
- (3) Municipalities have the power to (establish) the public elementary schools,and the local school boards have the power to (control) them. However, the private ones shall be controlled by the (governor) at each prefecture. -----
- (4) If need be for the delicate health students or the disabled students,(special classrooms) shall be opened at
any school.----- Article 75
- (5) Local school boards have to make (the entry of the school-aged children).
---- Regulation,Article 1
- (6) Prefectural boards of education have the power to regulate the school terms of the public schools, and (the
governors) have of it`s power of the private schools. ----- Regulation,Article 29
- (7) Local school boards have the power to determine (the school holidays) in Summer and in Winter, and at the
end of school years.---- Regulation,Article 30
* Principals have the power to give (certificate) of the completion of the school courses. --- Rule 28
* Principal shall regulate the time of (the beginning and the end) of the school days. --- Rule 46
- 3. The Special Law of Teachers'
Next, examiners may make a lot of questions in the Special Law of Teachers'.
Particularly, Article 19 is often inquired.
- (1) Teachers have to contrive to study and to cultivate their minds to (achieve their duty). ----- Article 19
- (2) Teacher's consultant and Social consultant of education are the special staff defined by this Law. ----- Article 2
- (3) "Study and Cultivation" defined by this Law are the following ones:
* Opportunity given by the principal or the administer.
* In the case of no lesson for the teachers, they can use "Study and Cultivation" outside of the schools with the
permission of their principals.
* Teachers sometimes shall be able to get the long "Study and Cultivation" keeping their status. ----- Article 20
- 4. The Local Public Service Law
- (1) Public officials should become conscious of (being servers to the public), and should work for the public
benefit and should (do the best). ----- Article 30
- (2) Public officials shall not (lose their credits) with their duties, and shall not show (dishonorable) behaviors. ----- Article 33
Next; somewhat take care of the next.
* Conditional term is (six months) after the employment.
* Staff shall be obedient to the law and the order of (their superiors).
- 5. The Law of Local Educational Administration
- (1) Local public universities are controlled by (the governors), and the other public schools by (the prefectural
boards of education). ----- Article 32
- (2) Municipal boards of education have the power (to control) the teachers of public schools, and Prefectural
boards of education have the power (to appoint and dismiss) them. ----- Article 37
- 6. The Law of Educational Health
- (1) The schools shall plan of physical check up of students and (staff), check up of school environment and (their safety). They shall practice these regularly.---- Article 2
- (2) Ventilation, Lighting,(Keeping warmth) shall be checked regularly in the class-rooms. ----- Article 3
- (3) (Principals) have the power to make the students who are suffer from infectious or being doubtful of it not to
attend the class-rooms.----- Article 12
- (4) Person who established the schools have the power to (close them) for a while in a case of prevention against infectious.----- Article 13
- (5) Books of student's (health examination) shall be sent to the school to which the student changed.----- Rule,
- Health examination of the students shall be finished until (June 30th) every year. Then,the result of it shall be told
to the parents within (30) days. ---- Rule,Article 7
- 7. The Constitution
- (1) All of the people are (equal) under the law and there shall be no discrimination in political, economic or social
relations because of race, creed, sex, social status or family origin. ----- Article 14
- (2) All public officials are servants of (the whole community) and not of any group thereof. ----- Article 15
- 8. Official Guideline of Teaching
- (1) Curriculum of elementary school and junior high school has three areas; (Subjects),(Morality) and (Special
- (2) Curriculum of senior high school has two areas; (Subjects and their subdivisions), and (Special School
Note 1: Special School Activities include Home-room activities, Student council activities, Club Activities and
Note 2; Official Guideline of Teaching is as effective as the law. --- Rule 25